Tuesday, February 06, 2007

February 4:: Haiballah auberge, Mauritania

February 4:: Haiballah auberge, Mauritania :: 95km / 1984km total

After a great dinner and breakfast I felt refreshed and ready to roll. Indeed, the first 2km were great. Then the road turned SE into the Easterly Harmattan wind, and a long slow day unfurled before me. I blew a spoke, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Just a long, flat, slog in my lowest gear all day.

I knew of Haiballah auberge from previous cyclists, in that I knew it existed. It sort of fell short of expectations, conditions EXTREMELY basic, pushing the limits of hygeine. I ate tomatoes and tangerines for dinner, afraid of the meat dishes that the locals were eating. Nothing I can do. 297km to Nouakchott, the capital of Mauritania. Please please Allah, turn the wind tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home