Thursday, January 25, 2007

January 25 :: Tan Tan, Morocco

January 25 :: Tan Tan, Morocco :: 130km / 696km total




Looking back near the crest of the final climb from Sidi Ifni








Guelmim








Guelmim



My lunch stop
Well it was either me or the camera looking into the Sun
Hard to tell, but this is the summit of a 10km climb.
Just before a big descent looking out over the Sahara, 40km from Tan Tan. You may be able to see the Atlantic, 20km from where I was.

After going Through The Looking Glass with Alice yesterday, I was ready to hit the road this morning. I was up before sunrise for a quick egg, bread, and Coke breakfast; then off. The real adventure begins. The idea of crossing the Sahara by bike fueled my imagination for this year's trip, and here we go...

Toe-numbingly chilly, I hummed along the flat road, stopping occasionally to readjust my tensor band. Things were going moderately well despite a mild headwind. The land around me - bleak, hilly, vast. Truck and RV drivers were quite interested and enthusiastic about my presence... there is no doubt for them about where I'm headed, since this road only goes across the desert, and they seem to appreciate the task at hand. Or think I'm a lunatic. Or something of both. Like cheering for a tightrope walker or a guy getting into a barrel to go over Niagara Falls. Anyways, exactly halfway into the day's mileage I came across... another touring cyclist! Oliver, a German, was just finishing packing up his tent and about to ride... towards Guelmim. Oh well. Still, we had a good half hour chat, he's been riding all over Morocco for a few months and has only come across 1 touring cyclist (other than me). He reconfirmed that today's headwind (his tailwind) was anomalous.

Back on the road I pushed forward into the wind, pausing for a brief refueling with about 55km to go. The land started to roll, and a 10km climb knocked me down a bit. The last 40km was very scenic (with a bit of longed-for tailwind), reminiscent of Utah or Arizona. What a great feeling to ride into Tan Tan, less than 6 hours for 130km. And all body parts intact and uncomplaining!

I head deeper into the desert tomorrow, and may not see internet until Laayoune, so don't be surprised or alarmed if you don't hear from me for a few days. I expect to be in Laayoune Sunday night, plus or minus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home