Sunday, January 21, 2007

January 21 :: Mirleft, Morocco

January 21 :: Mirleft, Morocco :: 46km / 478km total

With my left ankle wrapped up tightly I pedalled out of Tiznit this morning, and man did it feel good to be back on the bike. I took it easy, as easy as you can force yourself to go after 6 days off, and let my right leg deal with the hills. A very pleasant ride it was, down to the Atlantic coast, and then about 33km Southwards along it... mountains to my left, crashing waves to my right. Little traffic, a rolling road... perfect. The sky is getting a bit hazy from dust blown off the Sahara, so my landscape pics will have a grainy look to them (by the way there are lots of pics from today, but this computer is a little ancient and unable to talk to my camera). Soon enough I rolled into Mirleft, the first of three easy don't-blow-your-ankle-again days on the bike.

Mirleft is a sleepy, dusty town with a few good hotels. I have another great place tonight, a little pricier at 120 dirhams for room and breakfast (17CDN), but very nice and very worth it. The European RV crowd dominates the region, and they're pleasant enough folk. I walked up to the ruined kasbah (fortress) that is perched on the hill above town for some great views and wall scrambling.

Foodwise Morocco has been great, with a decent range of cuisine available in almost every restaurant. The tajines (stews) are big and filling, but the meat versions have been a bit dicey since the hoof incident. Often I order an omelette with fromage (Arabic for cheese is fromaj, so its terribly easy to order), all in a fresh baguette. Very cheap, filling, and safe. Also available are various kebabs, couscous, spaghetti, and endless patisseries serving well-made French pastries. Drinks: other than the standards like tea, coffee, bottled water, and Coke, Shweppes does a partially real lemonade here that is great. Juice is not too hard to find at rest towns, and not expensive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home