Monday, March 12, 2007

March 10 :: Beja, Portugal

March 10 :: Beja, Portugal :: 78km / 4175km total

My late arrival in Evora last night left me no time for sightseeing, so this morning I hit the streets, and a few very old churches. The highlight was a room that had the bones of 5000 people arranged in decorative patterns on the pillars, walls, etc. Quite macabre stuff. Back to my room, packed up, and it was a late 10:30 a.m. that I bumped and skittered along the cobblestone streets (damn cobblestones are getting annoying!!), headed out of town. My legs felt empty, no energy at all after yesterday's massive push, with that and the late start I decided on a 'rest' day of 80km to Beja.

Just out of town I was met with a strong Easterly wind, and it made me change my route from the main, slightly longer Eastward-arcing-loop route to a shorter, more direct, but hillier route on quiet country roads. Hills or wind? I'll take a favourable wind over a flatter road, any day. Another beautiful, scenic ride, and Beja came along soon enough. I hit the supermarket for dinner, and it was ham and cheese sandwiches long into the night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home