Thursday, March 01, 2007

March 1 :: Sukuta, Gambia

March 1 :: Sukuta, Gambia :: 81km / 3492km total

A very late night last night - I went with two of the cyclists to a local dance/drum/rave type of thing, it was fantastic, the energy was unbelievable, and so was the feeling of safety and goodwill. The late night naturally turned into a very late morning, but it was time to get back to Gambia, to be ready for tomorrow's flight to Sierra Leone. One of the cyclists rode with me almost to the Gambia/Senegal border, which was great, and it was only at 2pm that I started riding seriously for Sukuta. Ya, I had figured that I was getting used to the heat, I can handle it, and rode confidently through the >30C weather to the border. Well, the Sun had the last laugh and I struggled along the potholed road, melting, suffering. By the time I rolled pitifully back into Sukuta Camping I was pretty hurting, but it was so nice to see familiar friendly smiling faces of people I had met 5 days ago when I was here last. I need a good meal, or four, so I took a taxi to the tourist strip, and after I push away from the computer it'll be Taste of India restaurant for me.

Sierra Leone: I have no idea how frequently I can find internet outside of the capital, Freetown. Don't count on it, and I may be 'absent' for up to a week as I pedal upcountry in search of the big African animals. See you there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home